Next time you step outside to enjoy the summer sun, don't forget to grab some sunglasses! Most of us use sunscreen to protect our skin from the sun's damaging ultra-violet rays, but did you know that those same rays can also damage unprotected eyes and increase the risk of eye diseases? This summer, the doctors at Grin Eye Care remind you that sunglasses are more than a bold fashion statement. They are also a smart (and easy!) choice for your eyes.
Long-term exposure to the sun without proper protection can increase the risk of eye diseases, including macular degeneration, cataracts, growths on the eye, corneal issues and even rare forms of eye cancer. Even short-term exposure can have damaging effects. Sun reflecting off the water can cause a painful sunburn on the cornea (the clear dome covering the front of the eye) called photokeratitis. Symptoms include redness, blurry vision, pain and increased sensitivity to bright light.
The good news is that prevention of damage from UV rays is simple! Wearing sunglasses that block 99–100% of both UVA and UVB radiation will keep you enjoying the summer sun all season long with your friends and family.
Follow these easy 5 tips to stay eye smart in the sun:
- Wear a hat along with your sunglasses to offer further UV protection.
- Remember the kids! Make sure your kids are protected with sunglasses, hats, and sunscreen.
- Know that clouds do not block UV light. The sun's rays can still pass through on cloudy days and sun damage can occur to the eyes any time of year.
- Don't be fooled by lens color! While very dark lenses appear to block more light, they do not always necessarily block more UV rays. Be sure to ask our trained opticians to help choose the safest, most effective lenses for your eyes.
- Consider polarized lenses. Polarization reduces the glare coming off reflective surfaces like water or pavement. Polarized lenses can make activities like driving, playing sports or being on the water safer and more enjoyable.
By embracing these 5 simple tips, you and your family can enjoy the summer sun while still protecting your vision and health of your eyes. Be sure to schedule an appointment today if you're due for your annual eye exam or stop into our Olathe or Leawood location to visit our optical shop and check out our wide selection of sunglasses—including brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley, Maui Jim and more! We look forward to seeing you!