As summer vacation winds down, it's time to get ready for the new school year! The first day of school can be an exciting time. Don't forget to add scheduling your child's annual comprehensive eye exam to your back-to-school to-do list. Studies show that 1 in 4 children have vision problems that can impact how they learn. Clear vision and good eye health are crucial aspects of successful learning.
What to Expect
When you schedule a comprehensive eye exam with one of the trusted doctors at Grin Eye Care, we’ll ensure your child's vision and ocular health are in tip top shape. Your child's eye exam will include visual acuity testing, depth perception testing, color vision testing, an evaluation of the eye's focusing system and a comprehensive examination of the health of the eyes. Our doctors will make sure there are no visual or ocular issues that my hinder the learning process.
With all of the advances in technology within schools, our doctors also want to remind parents to help their children protect their eyes while using digital screens. Here are a few easy tips to help:
- Set a kitchen timer or a smart device timer to remind them to take breaks from the screen.
- Alternate reading an e-book with a real book and encourage kids to look up and out the window every two chapters.
- Pre-mark books with a paperclip every few chapters to remind your child to look up. On an e-book, use the “bookmark” function for the same effect.
- Adjust the brightness and contrast of your computer screen so that it feels comfortable to you.
- Practice using good posture when using a computer and when reading.
- Encourage your child to hold digital media farther away, 18 to 24 inches is ideal.
- Remind them to blink when watching a screen.
- Encourage your child to drink plenty of water, eat lots of fruits & veggies and get plenty of sleep.
Schedule an Eye Exam in Olathe or Leawood
From all of the doctors and staff at Grin Eye Care, here's to a great 2019–2020 school year ahead! We look forward to taking care of you and your family.