Spring is in the air here in Kansas City…and so are the allergies that come with it. Along with those beautiful spring blooms comes an increase of pollen, mold and other allergens that have many of us carrying around a box of Kleenex wherever we go. Whether you suffer from itchy or watery eyes, dryness, sneezing or a runny nose during this time of year, our doctors at Grin Eye Care have a few tips to keep those pesky allergy symptoms at bay.
- Try an over-the-counter oral antihistamine pill like Claritin or Zyrtec to help relieve symptoms of sneezing, runny nose, itchy throat and watery eyes. Be aware that these medications can cause additional dryness in the eyes.
- Give your eyes some relief by using artificial tears three to four times per day. Brands like Refresh, Systane and Blink are great options. Our doctors can also recommend over-the-counter allergy eye drops if your symptoms are not improved with artificial tears alone.
- Use a cold compress on your eyes with a cold washcloth or cold eye mask. This can help alleviate itchiness, redness and swelling.
- Schedule an appointment with one of our doctors to be evaluated for Allergic Conjunctivitis, which is inflammation of the outer membrane of the eye and eyelids. Our doctors can prescribe some excellent anti-inflammatory or anti-histamine eye drops to help stabilize your condition and relieve those annoying allergy symptoms.
- Keep your windows closed when the pollen count is high. Pollen count is typically highest between the hours of 5 and 10 in the morning. You can also use a weather app to track when the pollen count is up.
- Get started on that spring cleaning! Vacuum areas in your homes where allergens tend to accumulate such as rugs, curtains, carpeting and upholstered furniture. Wash bedding frequently. Change the air filters on your air conditioner and other areas of your home. You may also consider using an indoor air purifier.
Don’t let itchy, red, puffy eyes stop you from enjoying this beautiful Kansas City spring! We are open Monday through Saturday at both of our Olathe and Leawood locations, including some evening hours, and our fabulous doctors and staff are standing by to answer any questions you may have or schedule you an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you!